“As often as possible Jesus withdrew to out-of-the-way places for prayer.”
~ Luke 5:16
Praying you will find some additional time this week to slip away from your usual routine and enjoy an extended period of time alone with the Lord Jesus…lounging in His presence, reflecting on His Word, and basking in the glow of His love.
Charles Spurgeon once said:
‘There are times when solitude is better than society, and silence is wiser than speech. We should be better Christians if we were more alone, waiting upon God, and gathering through meditation on His Word spiritual strength for labour in His service.
We ought to muse upon the things of God, because we thus get the real nutriment out of them. . . .
Why is it that some Christians, although they hear many sermons, make but slow advances in the divine life?
- Because they neglect their closets, and do not thoughtfully meditate on God’s Word.
- They love the wheat, but they do not grind it;
- they would have the corn, but they will not go forth into the fields to gather it;
- the fruit hangs upon the tree, but they will not pluck it;
- the water flows at their feet, but they will not stoop to drink it.
From such folly deliver us, O Lord. . . .’